McCrea's Pool Hall

4878 Delta Street
Delta, BC

Built: 1912
 

McCrea's Pool Hall was built in 1912 by J. B. Elliot, the legendary Ladner builder, for Pat McCrea.

Status: Still Standing

McCrea's Pool Hall
click photo for more pictures
Over the years this building has been used mostly as a pool hall, owned by members of the McCrea family. E. A. McCrea, familiarly known as "Ace" McCrea, is the name usually associated with it. More recently the business went by other names, such as "Dutchie's Recreation Centre", but the name change didn't change the fact that it was still a poolroom. In the 1980s and 90s it was a video game outlet where teenagers hung out, not much of a change from its earlier history. Today it is the home of Open Space Yoga.

Visually the building is quite striking even today because of the projecting bay window on the second floor. The roof line is marked by decorative woodwork across the top of the building, as well as stylized corners. A flag pole with the ornamental ball at the top is a distinctive touch.