Anderson-Letheren Residence

4859-4861 Georgia Street
Delta, BC

Built: 1890 and 1921
 

What we have here is a novel way of creating a duplex; add one house to another. The original house on this site is 4859; the house to the north at 4861 came from the east side of Georgia Street, almost directly across the street.

Status: Still Standing

Anderson-Letheren Residence
click photo to enlarge
A positive approach to take to this creation is to say that an old house with many useful years of life was saved from the landfill. Don't we wish that more owners would apply themselves to coming up with imaginative ways of saving old houses!! We could wish at the same time that such salvage efforts could be less pedestrian than this.

Let us look at this structure one peace at a time so to speak, starting with the building that was here first. The Anderson house dates back to the 1890s, having been built for August Anderson, a farmer, in 1890. He rented it out for many years, apparently never living here himself. From 1925 onward it was owned by Vernon Taylor, who eventually acquired a substantial part of this side of Georgia Street.

Research has revealed that 4861 was originally the Lutheren house, moved from across the street in the 1970s. J. S. Lutheren was employed by Lanning, Fawcett, and Wilson in the hardware department beginning in 1918. When he bought the property from George Baker in 1921, it was undeveloped land. The same year he had the house built. probably by Percy Bradford. The Letherens left in mid 1923 for Illinois but continued to own the house until 1942.

Tge original house was one and a half storeys, that is, with a partial basement. It appears that only the upper storey made the move across the street, to join the Anderson house, also owned by the Taylors.
 

>