George and Ursula Baker Residence

4919 48th Avenue
Delta, BC

Built: 1922
 

In its new location at 4919 48th Avenue the Baker house, which used to be down the street at 4883 48th Avenue until 1985, has had a new lease on life, another fine example of re-use. Since its move, or at least since 1988, it has been operated primarily as a Bed and Breakfast.

Status: Still Standing

Baker Residence - 2018
click photo to enlarge
Built in 1922, this was the second and last home built for George and Ursula (nee Ott) Baker and their children. George Thomas Baker came to Ladner in 1897, setting up as a blacksmith and wheelwright. At the turn of the century, his business was called Ladner Carriage & Automobile Works, later modernized into Ladner Hardware and Garage. Its location, near the southwest corner of Bridge and Elliott Streets, is now a parking lot for the Ladner Harbour Centre mall. After Baker's death in 1928, the business was sold to Innes and Fenton.

Another home built for what we would now call the upwardly mobile family, the Baker house had five bedrooms, three of which were on the main floor, along with the living room, dining room, kitchen, and a large pantry. The pantry was torn out some time ago to make the dining room larger.

D. P. Lockhart, the Royal Bank manager, moved in as a tenant in July 1930 after the Bakers moved to Vancouver following George's death. Lockhart's successor at the bank in 1933 was Arnold Flaten, and it may be that he also lived here with his family.

The house remained a source of revenue for Ursula Baker until she sold it and two other lots to the north to the Millers in 1945. It appears that the structural additions to the rear of the house were made in the late 1950swhen Mrs. Klinkhammer was the owner. In the 1970s and early 1980s it was a home for autistic children, under the name of "Gateway House." that explains the seven bedrooms and four bathrooms in the real estate ad!
 

>