Henry and Martha Bishop Residence
4388 Arthur Drive
The Bishop Residence, located on the southern outskirts of Ladner village, is a one and a half storey wood-frame Craftsman style residence, set on a raised basement. It stands on a corner lot on Arthur Drive at the intersection of 44th Avenue, and the property includes mature trees, an early wood-frame garage at the front and a steep bank down to Chilukthan Slough at the rear.
Status: Still Standing
click photo to enlarge
This is the Bishop house, a builder's home, solid and symmetrical. Henry Thomas Bishop was a native of Ontario who came to Vancouver in 1909. After a decade as a contractor in the city, he and his wife and family moved to Ladner in 1920 and purchased a strip of land on the east side of Arthur Drive, called Slough Road back then. This was the first of the six houses built here, a home for his family and the largest and most substantial of them all.
The house was built in 1922 and it is obvious that Bishop briught to Ladner his experience in building in Vancouver, where the Craftsman design had been popular. It was be interesting to compare his Craftsman house, as the product of a builder, with the interpretations of the style as executed by J. B. Elliot which can also be seen along this street.
Elements of the Craftsman style visible here are broad eave, shingle siding, and most notably, exposed brackets. The porch is smaller than the one's on the Craftsman homes along this street but it may have been Harry Bishop's way of expressing individuality in the construction of his own home. The exterior is relatively unadorned, except for the peaked porch and twin dormer windows on the north and south side of the roof.
The real estate agent marketing the house in 1995 described it as having "high ceilings, wood floors, French doors, porches and more." The house is little changed on the exterior and what we see here today is the original siding.
The Bishops lived in this house until their four children were grown and married. On their retirement, Harry and Martha Mishop moved into one of their own cottages down the road at 4356 Arthur Drive. The house was then owned by several individuals but most people seem to remember it as the home of Ken and Jean McConnell who lived here for many years.
Key elements that define the heritage character of Bishop Residence include its:
corner location on Arthur Drive facing west; situated on the steep west bank of Chilukthan Slough
residential form, scale and massing as expressed by its one and one-half storey plus raised basement height and regular, rectangular plan
front-gabled roof with saddlebag wall dormers, clad with cedar shingles
wood-frame construction as expressed by: slightly bellcast lapped siding with cornerboards on the first storey; shingle cladding at the foundation level; twin-coursed shingle siding in upper storey; beltcourse mouldings; and wooden window and door surrounds with sills and cornices
Craftsman style details such as: projecting eaves; triangular eave brackets; and exposed rafter tails
exterior elements such as: the open front entrance porch with square columns, gabled roof and closed, shingle clad balustrades; shed roof visor over front first storey window; original 8-paned glazed front door, and internal brick chimney
irregular and asymmetrical fenestration including: single-light, triple-assembly casement windows with leaded amber-coloured transom above on the first storey at front; single and double-assembly double-hung 1-over-1 wooden-sash windows; and two fixed small square windows in front gable flanking centre gable double-assembly windows
mature landscape setting with trees