The Cammidge Residence represents the development of the fertile lands of Boundary Bay as an agricultural area. Foursquare in style, with a prominent wraparound verandah, it is typical of Edwardian-era farmhouses. Following the construction of a dyke in 1892, the area along the western shore of Boundary Bay developed into a thriving farm community and resort destination. By the time the Cammidge Residence was built in 1914, Boundary Bay was a well-established community. With minimal rainfall and an easily accessible waterfront, Boundary Bay was used by summer campers as early as the 1890s. By the 1920s, the area was a popular summer resort, which became increasingly more accessible as transportation routes improved. By 1930, a recreational subdivision, including a golf course, was being laid out at Beach Grove, but this venture failed due to the Depression; in August of 1931 the lots were auctioned off. Since then, the resort area has developed into a suburban area adjacent to Tsawwassen, but still retains much of its casual, seaside ambience.
Additionally, the Cammidge Residence is valued for its association with Edwin Cammidge, who purchased land on Boundary Bay Road from Henry Pering Crease in 1885. Cammidge was a widower at the time the house was built in 1914, and travelled back east to find a bride. The Cammidges owned the property until the 1920s, when they moved to Vanderhoof, British Columbia. The property was owned by members of the Gunn family from 1927 until 1961, and during the Second World War, it was rented by men stationed at the Boundary Bay Airport Training School.
The house is also significant for the community involvement to preserve and restore this landmark building. Originally located across the street, it was donated by Century Holdings and relocated to Boundary Bay Regional Park in 1998 for caretaker and community use. Contributions to the restoration were made by the Tsawwassen/Boundary Bay Lions Club, Beach Grove residents, the Boundary Bay Residents Association and the Corporation of Delta.
Key elements that define the heritage character of the Cammidge Residence include its:
recreated rural setting
residential form, scale and massing, as expressed by two-storey Foursquare plan with hipped roof with closed eaves and semi-octagonal bay window
wood-frame construction with lapped wooden siding
Foursquare style details, such as symmetrical design, square columns and wraparound verandah
exterior architectural details, such as openwork balustrades, scroll-cut frieze and two internal red brick chimneys
original double-hung one-over-one wooden-sash windows with horns
interior features, such as wooden floors and trim, picture rails and original fireplace