Jonah and Rhoda Devereaux Residence

4294 Arthur Drive
Delta, BC

Built: circa 1896
 

The Devereaux house, now partially hidden behind a hedge, dates back to the late 19th century. It has been suggested that it was built about 1889 but assessment records from that period suggest otherwise. In addition, the census records state that Rhoda Devereaux arrived in BC in 1890 and Jonah in 1893.

Status: Still Standing

Devereaux Residence
click photo to enlarge
It is more likely, therefore, that the house was built around 1896 for Jonah and Rhoda (who is related to the Parmiters) Devereaux. At the time it would have on a piece of property ten acres in size. The house has since been added onto and the property subdivided into smaller lots over time.

In the 1890s Jonah was employed by Thomas McNeely and Ernest Hutcherson in their nursery operation Mainland Nursery further south along Slough Road (now Arthur Drive). This was the forerunner of Jubilee Farms, owned by Thomas McNeely. All that remains now is the McNeely house, known for years as the Augustinian Monastery.

Rhoda has her own place in Ladner's history, in particular during the last thirty years of her life spent as a widow. She operated a maternity home in the village until about 1928 but she was most definitely not a midwife. Interestingly, her sister, Mrs. Mary Ansell, with whom she did not speak, also ran a maternity home at the corner of Stanley Street (47A Avenue) and Ontario Street (48B Street).

Many other families besides the Devereaux lived here, among them the Harry Wilcox family, the Ted Taylor family, and the George Cherry family.

The Dennetts, who bought the house in 1924 after renting it for a year, stayed perhaps the longest. James Dennett was the capain of the ferry between Ladner and Woodward's Landing in Richmond for almost three decades. From the Dennetts the house passed to several other owners, including Stephen and Sadie Riddell, before being purchased by Roger Vaslot and Sandy Smart in 1993.

The original house had a long sloping roof and a verandah that extended across the front. Its relatively small appearance belies the fact that inside were two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, pantry, and storage room. In the 1920s the bathroom, probably newly added, was to be found in an addition built over the Chilukthan Slough, into which the toilet and waste water emptied. No doubt Fraser Health, if it had existed then, would have found this arrangement interesting -- and unacceptable.