The Fawcett Residence, located on the southern outskirts of Ladner village, is a one-and-one-half storey wood-frame Arts and Crafts style residence, set on a raised basement. It stands mid-block on Arthur Drive among other contemporaneous residences, near the intersection of 45th Avenue. The property includes several landmark mature trees.
Status: Still Standing
click photo to enlarge
The Fawcett house dates back to 1920 and home to the family of Arthur and Kathleen Fawcett for the next 25 years. Another work of J. B. Elliot, this house had nine rooms, including a full bathroom upstairs, and a full basement at ground level.. An item in the newspaper reporting on the commencement of construction said that "many fine trees were planted on this property some years ago and it is now one of the beauty spots of the Delta."
Arthur Fawcett was a partner with his neighbour, W. H. Wilson, up the street in Lanning, Fawcett, and Wilson Ltd, also known as "the Big Store." Business was obviously good and prosperity made possible the purchase of this enviable rot and construction of this substantial home. Prior to this the Fawcetts had lived in a home on 47A Avenue.
Kathleen Fawcett, the daughter of Canon Roland Hilton, minister of All Saints Anglican Church, died in 1927. After Arthur's death in 1945, the family sold the home and it passed through the hands of several ownersbefore David and Jackie Brown acquired it in 1979. They rented it out as a movie set on several occasions, and in 1994 subdivided the property on the south side as the site of a new, but complimentary, house.
Another large Craftsman, this house in some respects is similar to the Wilson house. The pair of dormer windows and the peaked porch reinforce this perception. However, the positioning of attic windows on the side and the use of fewer embellishments make this house very distinctive in its own right.
Key elements that define the heritage character of the Fawcett Residence include its:
location on Arthur Drive, among a grouping of historic early houses
residential form, scale and massing, as expressed by its one-and-one-half storey height, full basement, symmetrical plan and side-gabled roof with two front projecting gabled dormers
wood-frame construction with lapped wooden siding, twin-coursed shingles on the second floor and cedar shingle roof cladding
Arts and Crafts detailing, including triangular eave brackets, and open eaves with exposed rafter tails
additional exterior details, such as a gabled projection on the front verandah, with triple columns that support a shed roof; original wooden front door; and red-brick internal chimney
windows including: original wooden casement windows and transoms in the front dormers; stained glass panels on the sides of the house; stained glass front transom; multi-paned double-hung wooden-sash windows with horns; and diamond-paned leaded-glass windows in the attic
landscape features, including a Sitka Spruce, a Tulip tree and mature maples at the front property line