P. H. Percival Residence

4661 52A Street
Delta, BC

Built: 1932
 

After the Percivals, who were the third owners of this property, purchased this property in 1932, they tore down the poultry buildings that were here and built the family home which we see today. With seven rooms, it was the largest in the vicinity. In 1946, They sold the house to Warren and Ruby Fisher who were here into the 1960s.

Status: Still Standing

Percival Residence - 2009
click photo for more pictures
This property was initially owned by R. D. Sutherland. As did many others in the early days of Delta Manor, the Sutherlands built the chicken house first and lived in one end of it. But the Sutherlands gave up in less than a year and in 1928 Harry and Dorothy Law became the next owners, intending to build a house. Unfortunately, Harry Law died of double pneumonia little more than a year later, leaving his widow with three young daughters to raise.

P. H. Percival along with his wife, two children, and father came from Lethbridge, Alberta and remained here from 1932 to 1937 at which time they left for Vancouver. During that period, in addition to following his trade as a carpenter, Percival owned the Landner Shoe Store for a year purchasing it in 1935 from William Dennison. The family remained in Vancouver until 1940 when they moved back to Ladner to live in this house. They stayed six years during which time three new houses were built and the property was subdivided. The three houses, located at 4651, 4689, and 4695, were revenue properties for the Percivals. Of the three houses only the one at 4651 still exists. In 1946 the Percivals returned to Vancouver to reside permanently.