Thomas Thirkle came to British Columbia from Ontario in 1882. His wife, Emily Bertha Tiffin, accompanied by her brother, Hudson, arrived two years later. In 1885, Thirkle and Hudson Tiffin went into partnership on the Gilmore Farm on Lulu Island, which we know as Richmond. Both me came to Delta, circa 1890, Thirkle to farm and Tiffin as a partner in the general merchant business of Gustav Hauck. Thirkle's first home was at the southwest corner of Delta Street and Westham Street (now 58th Avenue) where A Smile Dental Clinic is located now. The second was on the farm on Monkman Road, later called Fairview Road, and now known as 46A Street.
When Thomas Thirkle retired from farming in 1913, he moved to this house, built by or for Frank Millejoure. What really occurred is so far unknown, but some exchange of property took place between Millejoure and Thirkle. The newspaper in 1912 reported that Millejoure was moving out to Fairview Road. In October 1913 he disappeared after attending the Exhibition in New Westminster. He must have been presumed dead and the farm property reverted to Thirkle by default, since Thirkle continued to be the owner of the Fairview farm until the time of his death in 1933. A coroner's inquest comcludedthat a partial skeleton found on the Monkman farm in 1920 was that of Millejoure.
Thomas Thirkle had remarried in 1913 but it appears that his second wife, a widow named Mulvinie Ramage Middlebrook, was not popular with the rest of the family. In later years one of his daughters, Rubie Klinkhammer, kept house for him.
After Thirkle's death, another of his daughters, Mrs. Alice Reynolds, rented out the house to a succession of tenants. Some were more memorable than others, such as a trio of bachelors, two Davis brothers and George North, who made this house their headquarters.
This house was bought in 1969 by Dr. Tecwyn Jones, who conducted his family practice from here for 23 years. The building has apparently been modified in only a minor way during these years; the substantial changes, evident from a comparison between the house in the circa 1920 and 2014 photos, date from an earlier owner. Upon his retirement from medicine, Dr. Jones sold the house to Janice Blair in 1992, and the Thirkle house has since reverted to a family residence.