Thomas and Mary Todd Residence

4806 48th Avenue
Delta, BC

Built: 1893
 

A small house built in 1893 that has been modified over the years, It was the home of Thomas and Mary Todd.

Status: Still Standing

Todd Residence - 2011
click photo to enlarge
Thomas Todd, an Irishman from County Down, Northern Ireland, came to Delta in 1885. He initially had farmed on Westham Island and had raised potatoes on this lot and the one behind it, which he also owned.

Thomas' wife, Mary, the sister of James Frew of Westham Island, had come to Canada in 1888. The couple had no children. Thomas stayed in the home for a number of years after his wife died in 1921. He sold the house in 1928 and made his home with relatives, first on Lulu Island and then on Westham Island.

A. W. (Spud) Dennis bought the house from Thomas in 1928 and live there with his wife, Olive. It may be that the additions at the back and the change to the front porch took place during this period. Olive, by then Mrs. Howard Jacoby, remained in the house until the early 1980s.

The house is approximately the same age the original part of the Williamson house two doors away, having been built in 1893, according to assessment records. A photgraph taken circa 1915 depicts a tiny cottage with a plain, but well kept yard, that was obviously the pride of its owners. unfortunately, like many such cottages in Ladner, this one has been allowed to deteriorate, being held primarily for the value of the land.

The Todd house was the last of the village and bordered on Ladner's Chinatown to the west. A spectacular fire in 1929 destroyed the greater part of Chinatown and the few remaining Chinese left to make their homes elsewhere in the Lower Mainland.
 

>