Glenrose Cannery

10000 block of River Road
Delta, BC

Built: 1896
 

Status: Demolished in 2011

Flenrose Cannery
click photo for more pictures
The cannery was built in 1896 by the Fraser River Industrial Society and was co-operatively owned by fishermen until 1901 when it closed down. It re-opened by BC Packers Association in 1909 as the Glenrose Cannery and operated until the 1980s. The buildings were demolished in 2011 to make way for the South Fraser Perimeter Road. The cannery was constructed on an archaeological site that documents one of the earliest human habitation in the Lower Mainland dating back 8000 years.