Ladner Lawn Bowling Club

5128 47th Avenue,
Delta, BC

Established: 1917
 

People have been bowling on this spot since June 1918. The Ladner Lawn Bowling Club was organized in 1916, Reverend R.F. Stillman, President and Mr. W.H. Wilson, Secretary. In 1917 the name was changed to the Delta Lawn Bowling Association. Having no proper greens at the time, the members were able to hold their games and practices on the lawn on William and Edna Kirkland's house on Arthur Drive. In 1918 greens were constructed at the Ladner Country Club. Many stories abound from those early years, including tales about lighting the greens with lanterns before electric lights were installed.

Status: Still Exists

Ladner Lawn Bowling Club
click photo for more pictures
In 1919, a clubhouse, described as "a central room, 16x12, with a 6 foot verandah" was constructed of "rustic cedar," the contractors being "Messrs. Bradford and Ellis."

In 1950 the club was reorganized and incorporated under the British Columbia Societies Act as the Ladner Lawn Bowling Club. The Ladner Ladies Lawn Bowling Club was absorbed by the Ladner Lawn Bowling Club in 1972.

To this day, the Club survives, with a roster of active members, as is evident on evenings and weekends in the summer. Back in the early 1990s, this property was the subject of a serious, but happily unsuccessful, development proposal which would have brought an apartment building to this site.