Christopher and Molly Winskill

Christopher and Molly Winskill

Christopher and Molly Winskill farmed in Tsawwassen from the early 1920s onward where Winskill Park is today. They had three daughters, Doris Mary, Aileen, and Carol, who all went on to higher education. Doris Mary attended Vancouver Normal School and became a primary specialist teacher in Delta and Vancouver. Aileen received a high school physical education certificate and became a counsellor at Vancouver City College. Carol, the youngest, attended University of British Columbia and later married and had a family.

Christopher Winskill sat on Delta Municipal Council for one term in the late 1930s and then was re-elected in 1955. He was very active in the South Delta Taxpayers' Society in the 1960s and served on the board of the Boundary Bay Co-operative Hall Association. Until his death in 1978 he had belonged to the Delta Farmers' Institute and the Delta Agricultural Society as well as the several centennial committees that existed. In the 1940s he was elected president of the Georgia Potato Growers Association, a position which he held for over ten years. Molly Winskill was an active participant in several community organizations including the Evergreen Garden Club (where she had been one of the founders), St. David's Anglican Church, the Ladies' Guild of the Church, and the Orthopedic Club and she outlived her husband by a decade.

The Winskills sold 20 acres of land to Delta in 1968 for $230,000 for the creation of Winskill Park. They sold another 10 acres in 1975 for $1 million to expand the park.